Wednesday 7 August 2013

Aug 7th

Evening seawatch produced very little, just 3 Med Gulls (2 juv and 2nd summer) and an Arctic Skua. Earlier in week saw Caspian and YLG at Burnthill Lane but only saw the Roseate Tern as a spec flying off. Testing the iphone camera on the earlier Black Tern in the week, looking to bring new meaning to the term "record shot"... Dug out the 2001 diary to look back on my previous Lowestoft area record of 218 as I wanted to double check as it seemed high given that I really caned it last year and managed 210. I found that the 218 was correct and that some birds that were regular dross back then just dont occur now and this inflated the list, such as Nuthatch and Corn Bunting. How times change. It was a good migrant autumn, essential for a yearlist. Self found Olive-backed Pipit and Richards Pipit were the personal highlights. Other highlights seen in 2001 in the Lowestoft recording area included Rose-colured Starling and White-spotted Bluethroat. I got nearly all of the regular dross it seemed even bonuses like Hawfinch. The good autumn was responsible for most of the regular scarce being noted ie Wryneck, Red-backed Shrike and Barred Warbler. Seawatching was productive, I even read of a Suffolk record breaking 1800 Gannet north in just 5 hours in April. So to beat this we clearly need a good migrant autumn and we are due one...but Rob at least is well on track (yes ive sneakily added up what I think hes on and its now a number birds ahead of me (ill not disclose how many as I know Rob likes his secrets:)) to date this year in the Lowestoft area). Im on 183 btw.... Thats Lizard area listing but this blog is for your Corton patch listing I hear you say, how many are you on..? Sore point tbh...but autumn encroaches,,watch out Gibbo!

No comments:

Post a Comment